Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Secret Santa

Each year my friends and I get together to do a Secret Santa on a family in need. We choose the family about a month in advance and have a great time shopping for all the things they need! When the big "drop" comes, it is usually filled with fun and suspense and bad weather! It's so great to put a pile of presents and groceries on someones door step, ring the bell and run and hide in our cars and wait and watch them open the door in complete amazement. This year was a little different but just as special.

Lisa knows this family from the Boise Language Academy. They are a very special family. They have not been in this country but for a few months. They are from Somalia. And, as you probably know, there is a war going on there. While it is so much better and safer for them here, it is also very hard because they come over here not speaking English and having nothing. Because of this, we did not do a secret drop. They knew we were coming, Lisa arranged for an interpreter to meet us there, and they welcomed us into their home.

It was quite an experience. I have to say, I much prefer the secret drop, but this was incredible. When we pulled in, there were many Somalia refugee kids playing in the parking lot. We were unsure what to do next so we sat in our cars and waited. Our cars consisted of Justin's huge truck and my Suburban and they were packed full of clothes, groceries, toiletries, and other things this family needed. We decided we would get out because one of the little kids from our family recognized Lisa. This probably wasn't our best decision as we were then invaded by all the kids and other adults in the complex wanting things from out of the backs of our cars. We shared what we could until the mother came out and we then tried to close up shop! It was crazy! I do have to admit I was a bit frightened of a few of the bigger older teenage boys for maybe a 3 minute period of time and then it passed! I know, I know, I know! Just being honest!

The interpreter arrived and heled us carry load after load into their home that housed a mother and her 5 kids. It was nice and warm inside! The family was so gracious and taken back by the amount of gifts we gave them. They were so sweet. Their situation is one I could not imagine for myself at all. They are brave and I wish them all the best and I hope they find everything they need in America.



This is Lisa with the family!


After the big drop we met back at Lisa's for some pizza and relaxation. Here we are; Adrienne, Ashley, Lisa, Alicia, and Holy.

I think everything I ever thought I needed, or even worse, thought I deserved, has gone to the wayside. I don't deserve anything, nor am I entitled. I'm embarassed to think I ever did, and I thank God for the life I have and people in my life. I'm not in control of my life by any means, but I have been given a wonderful gift that allows me to accept things, change things when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. It's that last part, the wisdom to know the difference that usually stumps me! I'm working on it though!

4 comments:

Mom101 said...

This post totally made me cry, and brought back memories of some similar experiences I had - that I would like to get back to again.

Yay for people like you in the world.

Shannan said...

good job ashley...proud of you and it does put everything in perspective. We are very lucky and should count our blessings!

JaelCustomDesigns said...

How extraordinary & special! I always say, when I'm going through a tough or trying time... There is always someone else out there going through something worse and I count my blessings!

Popping in from Buy Mom Made!
I'm now following your blog...

You can find me at
http://www.jaelcustomdesigns.com

Traci said...

Wow, that is just amazing. What a blessing you all were to this family.