Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dear Tanner



Dear Tanner,

Today when I dropped you off at preschool there was 2 incidents right off that bat.  As we were walking to your classroom from Carter's classroom, you were running excitedly into class with the snack bag.  Sydney laughed at you and said you looked silly carrying the snack bag.  You instantly burst into tears.  I hugged you really tight and as I was doing that, Athens walked by and said you were so tall you looked like you were 8 years old not 5.  This made you cry even harder. Neither of these comments are really all that hurtful.  Maybe you did look silly carrying the snack bag.  The snack bag is a little silly looking in itself! It's important to be able to laugh at yourself.  Don't let others get to you like that, laugh with them. You are very tall and along with your height, you also have looks and pizazz to go with it! You are totally awesome.
As I was hugging you, a dozen different thoughts ran through my mind, one of which being that I should just take you, Carter and Hadley and run back home and lock out all the cruelty this world has sometimes.  But then I decided that the world needs people like you, Tanner.  You are so kind.  You are so considerate of others.  Please don't stop being like this.  You have so much love and you give it freely, to everyone, regardless.  Life is about creating relationships with others and enjoying other people.  All different kinds of people.  One of the most enjoyable things in life is giving and sharing what we have with others.  Friendships are the best things in life. Be nice.  Do not be mean.  Have lots and lots of friends.  Be a great friend to people.  There is nothing to gain by being mean.  There is also nothing to gain by making sure you are "right".  People that are always right, usually don't have many friends.  Don't be right, instead be kind, be nice, be understanding, show grace and love  to one another.  Sydney and Athens are your friends.  They are great kids.



 It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.  Trust me.  I have had my feelings hurt more times than I can count.  But I also have a mom and dad who hugged me and wiped away my tears and told me to be nice and that everything would be ok.  I still get hurt today, even as a grown up and a wife and a mommy.  Now when I cry, Daddy wipes my tears and hugs me and tells me everything will be ok.  He also tells me to stay away from mean people, but I can't.  I'm like you.  I want to help those mean people and try to get them to be nice to me.  It's always an uphill battle big guy but life is too short to be a meany! 


You and Carter and Hadley are incredible people.  I want to make sure that as you all grow up, that you stay nice and learn to give and share to everyone. 


Tanner, you are such a sensitive and loving boy.  You are an absolute joy to be around. 



Mommy and Daddy love you so very much!



 

2 comments:

Sylviah222 said...

Well, that was certainly a tear-jerker, but a very beautiful and most appropriate one. You are right, sweetie. You are giving good advice to your beautiful kiddos but most of all you are leading by example to be a loving, caring and giving individual. I am so blessed to be your Mom and love you very much. Always and forever.

Abby said...

That was amazing! I want to rewrite it for hailey!!! Watching our kids hurt is so hard. I love the line about people who are always right don't have many friends.....soooo true!! Good job mama....you are doing great and teaching your kids to be loving is awesome!!! Thats one of the many things I love about you...you are so kind to so many and you are a good and loyal friend!!