Wednesday, May 27, 2009

So Quiet and So Yummy!

I took the boys to the pool this afternoon and we had a great time. They both love the water. Tanner is fearless and his little arm floaties really help him out as he jumps in and out of the pool and explores the water! He thinks he is swimming, but he kind of looks like Elvis dancing! We got home just in time for Carter to take a nap. I put a fresh diapey on Tanner and told him to go upstairs while I put Carter down for his nap. Carter fell asleep and I got distracted by the laundry on my way to get Tanner. I got a load of laundry going, headed into the kitchen and was trying to think of what to cook for dinner when all of a sudden, the house seemed so quiet. So very quiet. I walked upstairs to find this;
Tanner had fallen asleep in his chair with his hand in a bag of Cap'n Crunch cereal watching a movie! I had to take a picture! He was even snoring a little bit! This gave me the opportunity to cook dinner uninterrupted! Yay! I decided to make Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice.
Here's what you need:
Chicken Tenders
Salt and Pepper
Flour
Eggs, beaten
Canola Oil
This is my assembly line. Chicken, dipped in flour, then dipped in egg. Place it in a preheated frying pan with canola oil just for a minute on each side. Just enough time to get the crust on the chicken but not to cook the chicken.


Take that chicken and place it in a baking dish.


Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 rice wine vinegar
1 tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
Mix them together. I usually double the sauce depending on how much chicken I use. Actually, I have never not doubled the sauce. The sauce is good and it's what makes the meal!



Pour the sauce over the chicken in your baking dish.



Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees stirring every 15 minutes.


Benihana's Fried Rice goes great with this chicken!


2 cups uncooked white rice
5 tblsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped veggie (I use zucchini)
2/3 cup chopped scallions
3 tblsp sesame seeds
2 extra large eggs
5 tblsp soy sauce
Salt and Pepper
Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and veggie and scallions. Saute until soft. Lightly grease another skillet. Beat eggs, pour into hot skillet, cook as you would scrambled eggs. Combine rice, veggies, sesame seeds, and eggs. Add soy sauce. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
Traditional fried rice calls for carrots and peas. I use zucchini and a can of diced tomatoes drained. I am sure any veggie of your choice would be great! This recipe is very forgiving and you can play with it to make it fit your taste!
So Yummy!








No comments: