Thursday, June 11, 2009

5 Good Things to Remember

Sometimes the last thing we all want is great advise. Why the last? It's not unusual to be afraid or uncomfortable asking for advise; we all have some degree of trouble admitting we don't know something, or that we have fears or limitations. I especially tend to take everything way to personally and get my feelings hurt when I shouldn't allow that, and I need to learn how to curb that. In the meantime, I thank God for my girlfriends that have older children. They have been there, they can laugh with you when you tell them about the latest tantrum and how you got "the look" from the mom with the sweet little sleeping baby at the grocery store. They can share their experiences, good and bad and help guide you on your journey. They might not have all the answers, but they have support. I recently called one of them desperately needing some support, but ashamed to admit that I wasn't feeling all maternally loving all the time. I was exhausted, frustrated, and confused. My mom job is never ending and I did not want to admit I was becoming a mess. I timidly beat around the bush, finally hinting at how difficult it all seemed and how it was actually easier when I worked (I NEVER thought I would say or think that) because when I worked, that sentence did not make a lick of sense! She said with a loud laugh-"Oh my gosh Ashley I have had so many times when I have wanted to lock that kid in the closet. That's just natural-don't worry about it, and it doesn't make you a bad mom to feel that way." We had a good laugh and I had an enormous weight lifted off my chest. Whew! Getting validation and support from other moms is priceless. I can only hope that I can help them out in some other way!

These are really great tips to keep in the back of your heads at all times! I know I need to see and hear these things on a daily basis that I have them taped up to my bathroom mirror!
1. Tomorrow is another day-Thank goodness!
2. Most mistakes can be fixed, figure it out or ask for help.
3. It is never as bad as you think, not really.
4. A lot more good than lousy things happened today, admit it.
5. Everybody still loves you, let people hug you.

I am also blessed to be loved by someone so remarkable. Tyler and I have been married for 8 years. Not very long in the whole scheme of life. But, he still opens doors for me, tells me I am beautiful with that sparkle in his eye, he is strong, handsome, smart, and a good father. I love him. I'm blessed to be his wife. Because of him, I am able to be home with our two little boys, being the heart of our home, and I would not have it any other way.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Those are all great reminders! Thanks for sharing!

Cammie :) said...

I look to you for advice, guidance and help, and I thank God that you have two little boys (my amazing nephews) so you can help me be a great mom when Chris and I are ready :) I love you Ash!!

Swan Family said...

Hi Sweet friend! Thanks for sharing such a needed post. At times it's very easy to feel like you're the only one in the world dealing problems like yours. It's funny, you're truly never alone in most situations. That's why God has placed friends in your life to help you get through "those days" and to remind you that you're human but most importantly to trust Him! I hope you're having a great day today!!