Monday, June 1, 2009

We The People......

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The Bill of Rights is the first 10 Amendments made to the Constitution. This is where we have the right to a speedy and public trial; Amendment 6.
Politics is a sticky subject. It shouldn't be, but it is. It brings out emotions in people, which it should, it is an emotional topic. One we should not take lightly or selfishly. There seems to be no middle ground on sides either. I sometimes feel like the black sheep and sometimes fit right in, just depends.
Each decision is part of a ripple effect that will effect us one way or another either immediately or sometime and somehow down the road. The rule of 10's always applies with political decisions-how will this affect us in 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 months, and 10 years? Do you vote selfishly or socially? Do you try to imagine the ripple for each side of the argument? Do you read the fine print? Are you responsible for the decisions you make? Do you know, do you really know and understand? It all gets complicated.
It's just me and my thoughts, but lately I have felt anxious about the freedoms we have. Do we really still have them? Will my children be able to enjoy the same freedoms I have now? Will they be taken away? Is our government too controlling and beginning to infringe on these rights? If or when are rights taken away, can they be given back at some point? As I read more and more, and learn more and more, and educate myself on what is going on, I do get scared. It amazes me that California is trying to take away the right or freedom of being able to drive a car that is the color black. Seriously? Seriously. That doesn't sound like something a free country would do. It starts with the small stuff and before we know it, larger freedoms are taken away until we are left without options. I wonder if we will lose our right to bear arms someday? I pray we can keep our right to practice religion freely. The Bill of Rights are a very important to our country and should not be taken lightly. Just as a refresher-here they are. Maybe some do not apply to you, or you wouldn't mind if that freedom was taken away, but I am sure there is at least one that is very important to you. Let's not knock them off one by one until we are no longer free.
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Amendment III
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Amendment V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.
Amendment VII
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
I was summoned for Jury Duty this week which brings me to what I want to say. Of course I tried to get out of, dreaded going, did not want to be there, thought it would be horrible, etc. I got there only to find just the opposite. What an efficiently run jury selection office Ada County has. I am amazed and speechless. It was not a typical government experience! I had a great time! I actually was so into the trial I was up for selection on, I was hoping to get picked as a juror. I knew when the attorneys questioned me, I was not a good candidate for the Plaintiff and would probably not be selected. I did not get picked. However, I am most certain that both sides will get a fair trial and I am hoping to be able to know how it all ends! Tyler probably would have gone crazy had I been picked as the trial is supposed to last 4 weeks. I do get to call in every night for the remainder of the week though so you never know, I might get on another case! Although I am most certain it would not be as intriguing as the one from today! This case was.....I don't even have the words.....the most insane thing I have ever heard of happening-ever, did not even think of this as something I needed to worry about, let alone sue for money over! So now, it's on my worry list! Let's just leave it at that! At least the Plaintiff still gets the chance at a fair trail!
I'm off to trade in my white car for a black one......wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

Swan Family said...

Great post! I think politics is a very touchy subject for most people. Thanks for posting the amendments, I honestly haven't read them since college and really enjoyed it. I was a History major, so the nerd in me is coming out! hehe Hey if you want some more action we just watched the movie Frost/Nixon. REALLY GOOD...you should rent it.

Shannan said...

Ashley...are you there? What happened to you???ha. anyway just wanted to let you know that i was reading your post with no glasses and so i was really close to the computer screen and your music you have loaded on your page came on and scared the shit out me..thanks. i had to laugh