Thursday, August 11, 2011

Another homemade item!

If I could change one thing about my body it would be my arm pits. Seriously. They are so sensitive and I really have not been able to find a deodorant that works. I got laser hair removal on them about 4 years ago but I still need to shave periodically and the result is always irritation. I also smell like a trucker. Some deodorants will work, but only for about an hour and then they just smell gross on me. Or maybe I make them smell gross? I'm sure it's me, but either way, smelly irritated arm pits aren't any fun at all. So, I decided to try to make my own deodorant!  I did this last month to make sure that it actually worked.  The result?  It WORKS!! I am thrilled!  Not only do I not smell, my arm pits are smoother than they eve have been and they don't get irritated! Another upside to all this is that home made deodorant is super cheap and easy!






All I needed was Coconut Oil, Baking Soda and Corn Starch.  I added in a few drops of lemongrass essential oil in the first batch I made but I've actually left it out in the subsequent batches. It didn't seem to make a difference when I left it out.



I saved my old deodorant tubes and just reused them for the home made stuff!  They work great!


Ingredients:

3-4 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/2 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Cornstarch

Combine equal portions of baking soda & cornstarch, I used about 1/2 cup of each. Then slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the substance you desire. It should be about the same texture as the store bought kind, solid but able to be applied easily. You can either scoop this into your old dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I totally want to do this!!! Where did you buy the cocunut oil?