Thursday, January 7, 2010

Who is Diane and what has she done with my steak??

With all this talk about Barbacoa burning down, it has just made me crave a Hot Rock Steak more than ever. I knew that the basic idea behind the Hot Rock was the Steak Diane, they just dressed it up a bit by putting it on the 700 degree granite slab. I could recreate this steak, minus the granite slab, and be totally happy! So, I grabbed all the needed ingredients for my Diane Sauce and hoped for the best!

Here's what you need:
New York Steaks or Filet Mignon. I used New Yorks.
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tblsp butter
3 tblsp finely chopped minced scallops
6 tblsp Cognac, divided
2 tblsp dry Vermouth
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tblsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup Beef Broth
2 tblsp Heavy Cream
2 tblsp finely snipped chives


The recipe says to pan cook the steaks, but I cheated and had Tyler BBQ them after I seasoned them with the black pepper while I made the sauce, and then put them into the sauce at the end. The end result may have been even better because we had the smokey flavor from the BBQ.

Here is the sauce. I had to work kind of quickly and so I couldn't take pictures during the process! What I did was added the 2 tblsp of butter to my pan and cooked the shallots for a few minutes on med high heat. I increased the heat to high and added 3 tblsp on Cognac. Here is where you can Flambe if you want to. I was too scared to burn my kitchen down so I opted not to. Maybe next time! Then, add the Vermouth, stir, then add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook all this for about 1 minute still on fairly high heat. Add the Beef Broth and continue to boil for another minute or so letting the sauce reduce a bit. Add the Heavy Cream, stir well. Add the remaining 3 tblsp of Cognac to the pan, ignite if you so desire. Place the cooked steaks in the pan with the sauce and let them simmer in the sauce for a few minutes.

BBQ'd steak simmering in sauce.


Finished sauce with added snipped chives.




Steak and potatoes Barbacoa style at home! No need to go back there! This meal was a total success!









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Sylviah222 said...

Wow! What a fabulous dinner! I agree with Anonymous - you have a very informative and creative blog! Love it!

Swan Family said...

Yes! You are a cooking machine girl!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I about the post should prepare more info then it has.