Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Brisket-lots of different ways!

You know P-Dub? Her blog is one of my favorites! ThePioneerWoman.com
Tyler brought home a 15lb brisket last week. What am I supposed to do with 15lbs of meat? What to do, what to do, what to do?
Luckily, PW has a great brisket recipe that also helps you use all the leftovers that you are most likely going to have when you cook 15lbs of meat at one time!
So I marinated the brisket in a combination of garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, liquid smoke, and beef broth for 48 hours in a roasting pan in the fridge. I then cooked the brisket at 250 degrees for 40 minutes per pound of meat, which came to 10 hours of cooking on Monday. We ate brisket that night along with some mashed potatoes and it was great.

Tonight, since I had about 14 1/2 lbs of brisket leftover, PW suggests we turn that into Tostados! Yes, we are turning them into Tostados. I took her recipe and mixed it up just a bit. I grilled some onions in a pan and added a pound or so if the leftover brisket to heat it up.


Then, I took corn tortillas and fried them in oil in a pan so they were nice and crispy. I did this 6 times, 3 for each Tostado.

The rest of the ingredients consisted of cheese, refried bean, lettuce, red sauce, and guacamole.



I preheated my oven to 325 degrees and took out a cookie sheet. I placed a tortilla on the cookie sheet and spread beans and cheese and the leftover brisket onion mix.





Then, I placed another tortilla on top of that and spread just beans and cheese on it.


Then, I placed another tortilla on top of that and spread beans and cheese and the meat and onion mixture on top. I placed this in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melted.


Then, I put the guacamole and shredded lettuce on top and served it with chips. This was even better than last night! Tomorrow night, I am going to be using yet some more of the leftover brisket to make PW's "Cowboy Nachos" so stay tuned!
I am pretty sure we will be eating brisket for a while......the nachos will not be the end of it!








1 comment:

Swan Family said...

That looks fantastic!!! I just got home from the gym and I'm starving girl!