Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Meatballs and Pea Potatoes!

This is hands down one of my favorite dinners! It will be perfect tonight too because it is a chilly rainy evening! My mom makes this recipe. I have added the Dijon Mustard to the meatballs because I think it adds a little something to them!
Growing up, some great family friends of ours The Sanders, used to make a delicious meatball recipe with Grape Jelly in it. We called them the Grape Jelly Meatballs and they were excellent! I will have to get that recipe and post it!
I'll start with the potatoes. I take 4 large potatoes, some butter, and a can of peas. Peel the potatoes.

Chop them up into cubes.

Cook them in a pot of water until they are soft.



Drain the water out, mash them up roughly, add milk and butter and then the drained can of peas. Salt and Pepper to taste. Done! Cover them up and stick them in the oven until you are ready to eat.



Meatballs
Take 1lb of ground beef. I prefer ground chuck.




To this, you will add (from left to right and top to bottom) 1/2 cup of Japenese Panko Bread Crumbs, 1 package of dry onion soup mix, 1 egg, and 2 tblsp Dijon Mustard





Mix it all together in the ground meat. I just use my hands, it's a lot easier!




Now, before you start making your little meatballs, make sure you have the sauce ingredients handy. A bottle of red wine and a can of cream of celery (or any cream of vegetable) soup will work. I just happened to have celery tonight! Have a whisk nearby!






Get out a large pan and drizzle a little Olive Oil in the bottom so the meatballs don't stick to it. This is about how many balls I got tonight out of 1lb. They are a little on the big side! Cook them a few minutes on each side until they are about done.






Remove them from the pan, turn off your heat, and add your cream of soup and a splash or 3 of red wine and whisk it all together. Be careful of splatters, this is going to also get all the yummy meatball drippings off the bottom of the pan as well.




Put the meatballs back in the pan and mix them up in the sauce you just made. Let them simmer for about 10 minutes or so on low heat.



Enjoy!
Dad-I got the book that Sue bought for you and am about 1/2 way done with it already! It is EXCELLENT! I am going to send it to Lindsay when I am done!










3 comments:

Swan Family said...

Okay sista are you serious! I love it...I am totally going to be making some of these recipes!!

Unknown said...

Those meatballs you referred to...I think we should call them "Swim Meet Meatballs." They are delicious! Take a bag of frozen meatballs and throw them in a crock pot. Add a jar of grape jelly and a bottle of "Homemade" (that's the name) chili sauce. (It comes in a little round jar). Cook on low in the crockpot. Yummy!

Shannan said...

Thanks for my dinner idea tonight..and I am going to refer to you as Racheal not Martha! You are so good...I will have to bring you some Ikea meatballs and sauce. They are yummy.